There’s a lot of talk about the role of the HR analyst so I thought it would be fun to compare some of the job descriptions out there. I randomly selected 5 HR analyst job openings on LinkedIn and, after removing the company-specific information, posted them below. Do you see any trends?
My hypothesis was that job descriptions with similar names would mention similar requirements. I really wanted to know what these requirements would be for the HR analyst.
A few things caught my eye:
- Most job descriptions require ‘excellent’ Excel experience. Indeed, in the job description from ERG, you can find that they are looking for an Excel wizard!
- Most descriptions require some knowledge of internal tooling/HRIS.
- However, there was no job that required advanced analyst experience like SPSS, STATA, Phyton or R.
- Most job focus on administrative tasks and basic reporting, very much in line with what van de Heuvel and Bondarouk noticed in 2016: HR analytics is focusing on very basic tasks.
- In addition, most functions are for juniors. With a bachelor and 1 year of relevant working experience, you can already apply to 5 out of 7 of these jobs. It feels like these companies are looking for professionals with knowledge about Excel who want to work in HR, instead of HR professionals who want to analyze data.
- If you read the job description at Consilio, it sounds more like an administrative HR function, not analyst function. I get a similar feeling at some of the other jobs. It feels like everyone who works in HR and who understand Excel is an HR analyst these days!
I don’t want to be controversial but a lot of these jobs sound like what a Business Partner should be able to do on his/her own! With the right system infrastructure, ad-hoc reporting should be part of the BPs skillset, shouldn’t it?
The only exception is the job at Pepsico. However, this one is labeled differently: Data scientist junior analyst. This job requires experience in R, Python or SPSS, SAS, STATA or comparable tools.
So, what’s next? I’d love for someone to scrape a few hundred of these job descriptions and to analyze them for core competencies/ requirements. It also emphasizes the need for a framework about what we require from the HR administrator, HR Business Partner, HR analyst and the HR data scientist.
If you have any suggestions or want to help us by analyzing this in a more structured way, please drop me an email.
ERG: HR AnalystTo read the specific responsiblities and requirements, click here
- Develop standard and ad hoc reports, templates, dashboards, scorecards, and metrics.
- Research, analyze, and present data as assigned.
- Write detailed reports.
- Troubleshoot data and reports.
- Assist in rollout and implementation of HR programs.
- Assist in various HR projects and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Ensure compliance with Data Privacy and Protection Guidelines.
We are looking for:
- BSc/MSc in HR or other relevant study.
- 2+ years of experience as an HR Specialist / Admin Assistant / Analyst in multinational environment within international/Benelux companies.
- MS Excel Wizard.
- Ability to work with multiple sources of data.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to succeed in environment with conflicting priorities.
Consilio LLC: HR analystTo read the specific responsibilities and requirements, click here
To provide proactive and comprehensive HR and benefit administration and support, alongside Payroll support for the UK.
- Administer starter / leaver processes including all documentation, induction processes and exit interviews.
- Prepare all letters or contracts for any changes to employee terms and conditions e.g. flexible working.
- Assist with the UK payroll; update the provider with changes, respond to employee queries
- Handle maternity, paternity, adoption, shared parental leave and parental leave administration processes and ensure that associated payroll processes are completed.
- Maintain and update electronic and hard copy personnel record systems containing all employment-related information including absence, holidays, starters and leavers, benefits and equality and diversity.
- Assist with UK visa sponsorship applications and proactively ensure compliance with the Company’s UKVI obligations
- Provide general administration support to the HR department as required including filing, telephone answering, preparation of reports and spreadsheets, scanning, photocopying and emails.
- Deal sensitively with any employee relations issues and act as the first port of call for any employee queries.
- Ensure employee benefits are maintained and respond to benefit queries from employees and providers
- Proactively monitor the employee life-cycle and key dates in the HR calendar
- Educated to UK A Level standard or equivalent, degree level preferred
- CIPD qualified / part qualified desirable.
- Significant experience of working in an International HR department in a similar role
- UK and/or European payroll experience an advantage
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Able to influence both at operational and senior levels, and able to explain HR initiatives in a business-friendly way
- Customer focused, thorough and determined
- Great attention to detail
- Team player and collaborative
- Passionate about improving business performance
- Pragmatic and prepared to “roll sleeves up” where necessary
Reed: HR Analyst/HR Systems AdministratorTo read the specific responsiblities and requirements, click here
- Assisting with the implementation of a new HR system
- Responsible for collecting and presenting data on a regular basis
- Maintaining and updating HR System, reporting on its capabilities
- Collecting, presenting and communicating data to key stakeholders
- Manage on-going performance and development of HR systems
- Adhoc Administration tasks
- Tech Savvy individual
- Previous Management Information (MI) reporting
BNP Paribas: HR Connect AnalystTo read the specific responsibilities and requirements, click here
Perform transactional HR activities and process work within HR Connect. Answers general questions regarding portal navigation and HR policies and procedures, referring to an online knowledge base for information and guidance. Perform administrative tasks in support of HR processes. Uses a case management tool for tracking requests and may transfer or escalate them to other service center parties if the issue cannot be resolved within HR Connect. Maintain the utmost confidentiality in dealing with employee records and business information. Ensures that deliverables meet or exceed individual objectives, adhere to HR Connect goals, and align with HR strategies.
This role works independently and may assist HR Connect manager with special tasks such as the development and delivery of HR process training.
- Handle complex, confidential, and/or sensitive inquiries/requests and assume ownership of cases, following established processes. Ensure accuracy/completeness of responses
- Assure appropriate approvals and compliance with “Center of Excellence” standards
- Provide excellent service to ensure activities allows for the intended user experience in an efficient and effective manner
- May assist review and monitor daily interfaces to assure they have run successfully and according to requirements. Work with HRIS, EDM and other HR Operations team members to identify, review, research, and correct problems and implement fixes
- Review, analyze, and reconcile related data according to established timelines, standards, and procedures
- Escalate particularly specialized, difficult, or sensitive matters to the appropriate “Center of Excellence” resource
- Support the review, update, and maintenance of HR Connect documentation for assigned areas (e.g., Standard Operating Procedures, Work Instructions) to ensure complete, accurate, and up-to-date depiction of processes
- Use the case management tool for tracking and answering various requests
Assure Compliance And Adherence To Business Objectives
- Maintain all compliance requirements. Analyze and correct errors and ensure proper quality controls are in place to avoid future errors.
- Provide standard or ad hoc reports to support assigned functional areas. Perform basic analysis and provide feedback regarding issues, opportunities, or challenges.
- May assist the HR Connect manager to review service quality, operational metrics, and service levels and recommend changes.
- Review, follow, and provide input to HR Operations team objectives.
- Provide ideas, solutions, and tools to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of HR service processing.
- Assist the HR Connect manager with the execution of compliance programs, internal audits, external audits, and government audits.
- Perform, document and report all controls relevant to HR Connect.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education/experience/training.
- 2 or more years’ HR functional experience required (e.g., staffing, compensation, benefits, learning, employee data); preferably for a large multi-state company as an analyst or coordinator.
- Skills related to the specific position; some broader domain knowledge and/or training in HR processes and functions desirable.
- Demonstrate a competent understanding of HR processes, procedures, controls, regulations, and compliance requirements for at least one functional area. Basic familiarity with at least one other area desirable.
- Experience with Microsoft tools and applications required.
- Experience working for a multi-national firm desirable.
- Experience in a shared service center environment preferred.
Crestron Electronics: HR analystTo read the specific responsibilities and requirements, click here
- Survey Participation: Participates in salary, budget planning, and other ad hoc surveys conducted by vendors such as Willis Towers Watson, Mercer, Culpepper, etc.
- Conduct job evaluation and review of new and/or existing roles. Partner with HR and line management to gather information and communicate results.
- Collect and organize data for analysis. Assists with the analysis of data both internal and external.
- Assists in the creation of communication materials and presentations to support analysis, implementation of programs, or for process updates. Prepares and maintains documentation. Regularly updates and distributes documents to HR community as appropriate.
- Assist with the administration of our annual merit increase program. This includes annual performance management appraisals in Cornerstone, assisting with preparation of communication and training materials, providing support to employees and managers during the planning cycles, data analysis, and validating payroll integrations.
- Manages special projects as assigned within the Human Resources department.
- Strong Excel experience with a willingness to work hands-on in the detail as well as in the analysis.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively as well as independently, with proven ability to form strong partnerships with key stakeholders (international contacts, internal peers and clients).
- Analytical and problem-solving skills as well as an ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously to successful completion.
Education And Experience
- BS/BA degree is required.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in Human Resources with an emphasis in compensation
- Experience with benchmarking, analysis, communication of compensation programs, and salary management is preferred.
- Experience using compensation survey tools is a plus.
- ADP EV5 or other HRIS system knowledge is a plus.
Pepsico: HR Analytics / Data Scientist Junior AnalystTo read the specific responsibilities and requirements, click here
- To manage and analyze workforce data to generate meaningful business insights. To play an important role in analyzing and providing data for strategic workforce planning and talent analytics.
- Gather and analyze data, using advanced statistical models and continuously learning about new ways to mine data and distill meaning out of the increasing amount of data available to us. Data to help us understand our internal workforce, our potential external future workforce and know how we can best manage our PepsiCo employees to drive real business results and value.
- Build tools to bring our workforce insights to our HR leaders and a wide audience to drive actions from workforce data and insights.
- Join our team to continue the HR analytics journey we are on and help us shape our future projects and analyses!
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, computer science, statistics, mathematics or related field of study or equivalent work experience.
- 3 years of relevant experience is preferred, experience with data/statistical analysis is a must.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language for statistical analysis (preferably R or Python, but SPSS, SAS, STATA, Mathematica, Matlab, etc. will be considered) is required.
- Strong data and analytical skills. You enjoy working with numbers and bringing structure to complex data sheets!
- Strong relationship building skills with internal/external partners and senior staff.
- Must be a detail-oriented and exhibiting creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent in Excel and PowerPoint and other presentation software. Experience with Tableau will be a plus.
To learn more about the skills needed for the HR analyst role, check out our HR analyst course from the HR Analytics Academy!